Friday, 11 May 2012

Thoughts on EMP

As I write, EMP is nearly finished and uni is coming to a close - all I'll do next is mount my exhibition!

I am happy with EMP. Truly, I am. I have taken this opportunity to really push myself to become a better cutter and maker, and I think that this can be seen in the results: two pieces which are full of imperfections, but which really reflect how far I have come during my time studying costume making at AUCB.

I can be highly self-critical at times, and channel this quality via my desire to keep improving in my work. I will have to do a lot more tailoring, and even more bias-cut work, in order to improve; and I hope to do this by joining a making workroom in the near future. (I have been advised to go for tailoring.) I purposely avoided choosing the easy option with this project (which would have been to make more tailored lounge suits) because I wanted to push myself to become more experienced, and thus more flexible; qualities which I hoped will make me seem desirable to employers. I have researched all areas of the project thoroughly, looking at original artefacts from the period as well as studying books and quizzing the tutors of all their knowledge. I have then taken all that I discovered to heart, really considered my research, then made informed decisions regarding how to proceed with my project. Some areas were especially difficult, and I made an awful lot of new discoveries; but I am happy with the way that I worked. It has felt difficult at times, working in an independent manner, but it has really helped me learn and understand how materials and processes worked. I also consistently worked very hard throughout the project, and put a lot of hours in at the beginning, which reflects in my finishing the garments on time. I am thus pleased with my ability to manage my time, which will also be a helpful quality in the industry. 

I am pleased with what I produced, as I worked so hard and don't feel that I could have made anything better. I am happy with how my pattern-cutting turned out. If I had had more time and materials I might have done things such as re-cut the jacket sleeves (which I was unhappy with), but I didn't have enough cloth to do so. Additionally, though they are not perfect, I feel I managed to make the 'best of a bad job' and create something which doesn't look too bad from a distance (i.e when not scrutinised as closely as I obviously do!). Again I feel that this is a good approach regarding industry practice, where there really might not be enough fabric to re-cut; it is about accepting mistakes, then dealing with them and learning from them, gaining enough experience not to have to repeat them.

No comments:

Post a Comment